Diano Marina has remote origins, probably date back to the Upper Paleolithic and the Iron Age; some remains of human settlements date back to 14.000 years ago, witnessed by the discovery of cinerary urns belonging to a necropolis.
Around the year 200 b.C. Romans founded here Lucus Bormani: the sacred wood of Borman, the pagan God of the waters. Later, the area was dedicated to Diana, a goddess of hunting, from which it derives the name of the site that binds many villages in the area. Other important remains have been discovered in the area of the sports field confirming that in this area, an imperial era emerged as an important urban settlement. Near the archaeological remains is the ancient church dedicated to the Saints Nazario and Celso.
At the beginning of the eleventh century, Benedictine friars from nearby Piedmont began to cultivate the olive tree, which gave new life and strength to local agriculture. Years later the area was the feudal part of the Marquis of Clavesana from which it liberated, giving rise to the Communitas Diani, together with other villages in the area.
Since 1275 the alliance with Genoa was born, which will last until the liberation of the Savoy kingdom, evolving into Napoleon's time in Cape Town's Department of State. The terrible earthquake of 1887 caused the destruction of Diano Marina, which was rebuilt on the project by the engineer Giacomo Pisani taking on the present form of one of the most loved Ligurian tourist resort.